The Remuh Synagogue in Krakow, Poland. Photo courtesy of Polish National Tourism Board.
Visit the cities of Vilnius, Lithuania and Warsaw and Krakow, Poland with the Museum.
- Take an in-depth tour of Vilnius’ old Jewish Quarter, including the beautifully restored Choral Synagogue, the Holocaust Museum, and the cemetery where the most respected Talmudic scholar of Vilnius is buried.
- Visit the moving memorial at Ponary Forest, where more than 100,000 Jews were marched to their execution during the Holocaust.
- Take in places relevant to The Book Smugglers including the sites of the Strashan Library, the Vilnius Judehrat Offices, and the Vilna Ghetto Theater.
- Survey the sites and memorials of the Warsaw Ghetto and the historic resistance of its 1943 uprising.
- Gather for an evening Shabbat dinner with the local community at Krakow’s Jewish Community Center.
- Enjoy lunch and a meeting with a survivor of the Holocaust at a specially arranged presentation hosted by an expert staff member of the Galicja Jewish History Museum.
- Pay a visit of remembrance at both Auschwitz and Treblinka.
Study Leader Wendy Warren
Wendy Warren is the Senior Associate Director of Education at Holocaust Museum Houston. Wendy organizes education programs, conducts teacher and docent trainings, writes curriculum and works with teens in the Engines of Change Student Ambassador program. She earned her M.Ed. from the University of Houston and has been an educator for 22 years. Prior to joining the Museum, she taught a variety of social studies courses and held leadership positions at the campus and school district level. Additionally, she developed and implemented the first Holocaust and Genocide Studies course in Alief ISD. Wendy has received recognition for her work, including being named the Region IV Secondary Teacher of the Year.