September 7, 2007 through February 3, 2008
Mincberg Gallery, Holocaust Museum Houston
Before the Nazis made murder efficient in the gas chambers, there first were the unspeakable “mercy deaths” to purge Germany of its population with cognitive and developmental disabilities. Code-named "Operation T4," the street address of the Berlin headquarters, Tiergartenstraße 4, from September 1939 until August 1941, German and Austrian medical institutions executed many of Germany’s most vulnerable citizens. This campaign and the “wild euthanasia” program that followed resulted in the deaths of approximately 200,000 individuals.
This HMH-curated exhibition will provide historical documentation of the role played by scientists, physicians and government officials and will describe activities at the killing centers of Brandenburg, Grafeneck, Hartheim, Sonnenstein, Bernburg and Hadamar.
This exhibit and accompanying catalogue is generously underwritten by Gateway Logistics Group, Inc.; Lufthansa Airlines; and Dr. Sheldon and Linda Rubenfeld; with special thanks to Continental Airlines, official airline of Holocaust Museum Houston.